Week of Nov. 26, 2012
Ebertfest 2011 - Video Highlights, Watch!
Every year, Roger and Chaz Ebert, in association with the University of Illinois College of Media, puts on a 5-day film festival in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, Roger's home town.
Katrina Olson presentation highlights:
Top (PR) hiring items by importance:
1.writing skills (MOST IMPORTANT) can put you ahead of your competitors
2. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
3. Evidence of quality college internships
4. Ability to communicate publicly. PR jobs are often behind the-scenes, but you may need to come up and present publicaly at times
Top hiring problem areas:
1.writing skills- what they most want, but aren’t get the most
So What is good writing??
***One of the way to make your writing more pleasurable is to reduce your use of nouns and replace them with VERBS*** nouns are harder to read, they aren’t active
What is good PR writing??
-More than grammar, word choice, flow, conciseness, clarity, etc.
-Good PR writing is strategic-it SHOULD HAVE A PURPOSE-it’s not just about getting coverage or creating awareness (usually)
-It’s communication with a purpose, goral, and objective that furthers the mission of the org.
-It’s planned, proactive and focused on building and maintain relationships of your publics
5 questions to ask before writing any PR piece
1. What are we trying to accomplish? (goal)
2. Who are we trying to reach (target public)
3. What do we want to tell them? (Message)
4. What’s the best way to communicate with them? (Channel)
5. Why should they care? (relevance)
Common writing problems
Writing Process- Outline, Write, Rewrite, Edit, Proofread
Organizations and companies are always “its” for AP writing style